Visit Winona | 800 657-4972
Happenings in Winona
View full calendar

View calendar
  • Watkins
View Gallery
View Map

Winona National Register Historic Districts

The Winona Downtown Commercial Historic District contains over one hundred sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This area represents Minnesota’s largest collection of Victorian commercial architecture on the Mississippi. Most of the buildings are Italianate or Queen Anne in style and date from between the years 1857 and 1916. Walking tour brochures are available.

The register includes:

Anger’s Block, 116-120 Walnut Street, 1872: brick Italianate commercial building

Willard Bunnell House, Homer and Matilde Streets, 1850: Carpenter Gothic house of Winona County’s first settler, now a Winona County Historical Society museum

Central Grade School, 317 Market Street, 1930: Gothic Revival school

Choate Department Store, 51 East 3rd Street, 1881: brick Richardsonian Romanesque store owned by an influential local merchant

Church of Saint Stanislaus, 601 East 4th Street, 1895: brick Beaux-Arts church of a Polish American congregation

East Second Street Commercial Historic District, 66-78 Center, 54-78 East 2nd, and 67-71 Lafayette Streets: business district with many late-19th-century brick-and-stone Italianate buildings

Dr. J. W. S. Gallagher House, 451 West Broadway, 1913: stucco Prairie School house designed by Purcell & Elmslie

Grain and Lumber Exchange Building, 51 East 4th Street, 1900: brick and stone Renaissance Revival office building designed by Kees & Colburn

Abner F. Hodgins House, 275 Harriet Street, 1890: Queen Anne house of a notable lumberman

Huff-Lamberton House, 207 Huff Street, 1857: brick Italian Villa style house—one of the oldest in Minnesota—with an 1876 Exotic Revival porch

Jefferson School, 1268 West 5th Street, 1938: Streamline Moderne school built with Public Works Administration funding

Kirch/Latch Building, 114-122 East 2nd Street, 1868: commercial building exhibiting a mix of Gothic and Italianate architecture

Madison School, 515 West Wabasha Street, 1932: Gothic Revival school

Nicholas Marnach House, off County Highway 26 in Whitewater Wildlife Management Area, 1857: stuccoed stone house based on a traditional Luxembourgian style

Merchants National Bank, 102 East 3rd Street, 1912: brick Prairie School bank designed by Purcell, Feick & Elmslie

Pickwick Mill, County Highway 7, 1858: water-powered gristmill built of limestone

Schlitz Hotel, 129 West 3rd Street, 1892: hotel run by the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company

Sugar Loaf, southwest of U.S. Highway 61 and Minnesota State Highway 43: landmark rock pinnacle on a bluff above Winona

Sugar Loaf Brewery, Lake Boulevard and Sugar Loaf Road, 1872: brewery at the foot of Sugar Loaf bluff.[4]

Washington-Kosciusko School, 365 Mankato Avenue, 1934; Streamline Moderne school built with Public Works Administration funding

J.R. Watkins Medical Company Complex, 150 Liberty Street, 1900–1914: headquarters of a major direct-sales company

Paul Watkins House, 175 East Wabasha Street, 1927: brick Jacobean Revival house designed by Cram & Ferguson for head of the J.R. Watkins Company

Winona and St. Peter Engine House, 75 Gould Street, 1890: brick engine house

Winona and St. Peter Railroad Freight House, Front and Center Streets, 1883: brick warehouse of the Winona and St. Peter Railroad

Winona City Hall, 207 Lafayette Street, 1939: brick and stone Streamline Moderne city hall built with Public Works Administration funding

Winona Commercial Historic District, 3rd Street between Franklin and Johnson Streets: Commercial heart of a river and rail shipping hub

Winona County Courthouse, 171 West 3rd Street, 1889; stone Richardsonian Romanesque courthouse

Winona Free Public Library, 151 West 5th Street, 1899: Classical Revival library

Winona High School and Winona Junior High School, 166 and 218 West Broadway, 1917 and 1926: brick and stone Classical Revival schools

Winona Hotel, 157 West 3rd Street, 1889: brick Gothic Revival hotel

Winona Masonic Temple, 255 Main Street, 1909: brick Classical Revival Masonic Temple

Winona Savings Bank Building, 204 Main Street, 1916: stone Egyptian Revival bank designed by George W. Maher

Contact:
[email protected]
Phone: 507-452-0735

Address:
160 Johnson St.
Winona, MN 55987